Thursday, November 24, 2005

Things I like about Germany- part III


Weißwurst ("the white dick")

A famous white sausage, mainly eaten south of the so called Weißwurst-Äquator (white sausage equator), which is marked by the river Main. Weißwurst is made from very finely minced veal and fresh pork bacon. It is usually flavoured with parsley, lemon, mace, onions, ginger and cardamom though there are some variations. It is eaten with sweet mustard, another Bavarian specialty (for example Händelmaier's mustard is famous) and pretzels.
Some american friends named the sausage white dick after they had sawn it for the first time. Honi soit qui mal y pense. But get your own picture of it.

Mustard

I have to admit that I love mustard. I eat it purely, with bread, sausages (see above), salad.............
I get nervous when there is no mustard in the fridge. Many of my friends know that passion of mine. I confess to be a mustard-head.
There are tons of different kinds of mustard. I especially like the sweet ones. But on the other hand the whole range is welcome.
Mustard is very healthy, a pleasant side effect. Besides Händelmaier's I prefer the mustards of the historic Senfmühle Monschau. They have the following types of mustard:
Tarragon, garlic, chili, green pepper, horse radish, English curry, caraway, lemon, orange, tomato, currant, honey with poppy seed (delicious!), riesling, wild herbs with bear's garlic, ginger/pineapple and fig. You can order the mustard directly and you will not regret it.

Pretzels

This seems to be all culinary today. But I'm hungry and almost heading for my lunch break. Pretzels perfectly fit together with white sausage and mustard. You can eat them plain there also sorts with:
Butter (tasty!), cheese, camembert, cream cheese, sausage etc.
A good breakfast or brunch without pretzels is not imaginable in our family. Emma already likes them as well. She soaks them and likes to make a mess out of them. Sometimes she decides to eat them, too.

The piture above describes my post perfectly. Enjoy!

2 Comments:

Blogger pillepalle said...

Thanks for the comment! I'm fine, and happy to see your blog is still very educating and interesting! (I don't like the wurst very much and I saw many people do grimaces especially at this white wurst! but ok!)

9:35 AM  
Blogger La Madre said...

with a radler (limo und beir).
ohh and some good cheese, and sliced onions with the pretzels.

beirgardens in general...yes, germany is wonderful

7:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

For Dirk Fans like me