Friday, July 22, 2005

Things I like about Germany

Beer:

Near every church tower (and we have a lot of them) is a brewery, at least here in Bavaria and especially in the "Fränkische Schweiz" close to Nuremberg where I live. And I'm talking about good beer. Who has tried it knows it. Don't tell me it's beer that you have in America. Realized that Budweiser is from Budweis in the Czech Republic? Heineken is from the Netherlands. And Miller probably was a Mr. Müller from somewhere in Germany. He must have forgotten his roots.

Bread:

Germany has the best bread in the world. I always realize that, when I'm on vacation. I miss it the latest when I'm more than two weeks away from home. I get so sick of all the whitish, gluey, tasteless bread they offer you in different regions of the world. Okay, I'll count Austria and Switzerland as acceptable but that is almost Germany, you know?

Landscape:

Germany has a lot of things to offer: Mountains, lakes, oceans (North Sea and Baltic Sea), castles, beautiful old cities (like Nuremberg), forrests. A wide range of things you can discover and enjoy. Not for nothing most German people go on vacation in Germany. Curious?

Public Transport Service:

Well, that is a common thing througout Europe. I enjoy it, especially compared with the States, mainly the Western part. I've been to Los Angeles two times and I found it amazing that a public transport service does not exist there. Everybody goes by car, no wonder they have highways with eight lanes and huge problems with smog. Who sows streets will harvest traffic. And sure you will not ratify the Kyoto protocol. Thank you George W.

Old-world quality:

Althought we were blamed for this:
Germany is thousands of years old. You can breath the old times, whereever you'll go. This is an impression of having a long lasting history and having had the chance to develop from mistakes and successes.
Old things have a soul and a style in itself. Not everything that is new is better. Look at all the mainstream we have nowadays.

Cars:

Yes, Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, Audi, BMW and Volkswagen are German cars. A lot of people overseas don't know that. That's amazing, isn't it?

To be continued.

2 Comments:

Blogger Cindy-Lou said...

I would love some bread, thanks!

5:49 AM  
Blogger Pie! said...

I would love some beer and bread, thanks! And a car too, if you're up for it.

I think my favourite would be the old-world quality. I love the air of history. I would love to know the stories old buildings have witnessed. Canada, especially Calgary, is too young.

9:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

For Dirk Fans like me