German politics - The candidates' debate
It was broadcasted on 4 German T.V. stations at the same time (ARD, ZDF, SAT 1 and RTL).
There was a big ballyhoo before this debate:
- It is the only one before the election on September 18.
- Schröder is the media man and can't slap a woman (does she look like?) directly in the face
- Schröder will win, Merkel has no chance (so Merkel can only win?)
- Trivialities will be discussed, nothing new will occur
- There will be too many details, that nobody will understand
There is no anticipation possible, what will be the effect on the election. Right now the possible conservative / liberal coalition has a lead of about 8-9 percent.
I was disappointed of the journalists. There were the anchor men / women of the channels investigating. They did it professional but in a boring way.
Gerhard, do you still have the desire to rule four more years? What will you do, what you haven't done in the last seven years of your government?
Angela, can you do this job without Gerhard? Won't you need him when you go to meeting with statesmen abroad and need someone to charm them all over when it comes to critical issues?
So Angela and Gerhard if you read this. I would be interested in your answer.