Friday, September 09, 2005

Faded myths - hats


I had this in my mind for a long time.

I like the pictures of the twenties or thirties where all of the people in the streets seemed to wear hats.
Look at the picture, something is missing. Who finds it out?

Nowadays hats are only worn by


  • elderly gentlemen
  • women at horse races (Ascot!)
  • show-offs
  • geeks
  • some people doing their job (but these are mainly caps I think; but maybe butlers or hotel employees welcoming the guests)
Maybe there are hidden countries where it is still common to wear hats. That would be interesting.

What would have been the purpose of hats?

  • weather protection
  • fashionable accessoire
  • something to take off to be polite
  • a toy when you are nervous
  • just a part of the clothes and nobody thinks about

What kind of proverbs are there?

  • whereever I lay my hat, that's my home
  • take off one's hat
  • I'll take my hat off to you!
  • I'll eat my hat if....
  • talk through one's hat
In German there are also the following (Hut = hat):
  • Alles unter einen Hut bringen: Literal "Get everything under a hat";means "reconcile things"
  • Damit habe ich nichts am Hut: Literal "I have nothing on the hat with this issue"; means "I can't be bothered with that"
  • Ihm ging der Hut hoch: Literal "His hat went up"; means "he blew his top"
  • Den Hut nehmen müssen: Literal "to have to take one's hat"; means "have to go (or to resign)"
  • Das kannst Du Dir an den Hut stecken: Literal "You can put that on your hat"; means "you can keep it".
At least in our language the hat is still alive and kicking! I take off my hat now and say goodbye till the next post.

3 Comments:

Blogger Pie! said...

I use hats today to cover up bad hair days....So, everyday, essentially.

But I'm with you there on the hat thing. No one wears hats to churches nowadays either (the nice kind at least...). And I'm in love with the idea of men taking off their hats in the presence of a lady, to be polite.

7:57 AM  
Blogger Konrad said...

Maybe we can turn back the wheel of time. Or concerning fashion: Everything comes back from time to time!

12:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

This morning...as I struggled to accept the fact that it was still hours before the alarm would chime.. I tussled again with the kitten who insisted on spending every night curled up in my hair as it was splayed on the pillow. She wrapped herself around my head as if it was the only place she was ever meant to be... I looked over at my husband waking him from his peaceful sleep "I finally figured it out!" I said. He looked at me with one eye open and I announced.. "She doesn't know she's a CAT! She thinks she's a HAT!" ... he went back to sleep.

I tossed the cat out of the bed readjusted my pillow, tossed several times and finally went back to sleep.

Moments later I was awoken once more. My dear husband had decided to get up and find the bathroom, tripping on the cat. He looked at me, knowing I was finally dreaming and announced "She doesn't know she's a CAT! She thinks she's a MAT!"

I slapped him.

Gotta love Mondays.

Thanks for visiting our blog and yeah, we are doing just fine. ;)

3:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

For Dirk Fans like me